

Notice of Regular Meeting of the Hogback Preservation Commission
5 p.m. Monday, November 9, 2020
Zoom Call Meeting Online

Join Zoom Meeting

<https://us02web.zoom.us/j/89359554257> Meeting ID: 893 5955 4257

To join by phone: 1-646-558-8656

Minutes

1. Call to Order

Attending: Jack Widness, Diana Todd, Sarah Grant, Ed Metcalf, Christine Collela, John Nevins, Mike Purcell, Nancy Anderson

2. Review of Agenda

Jack wants to present info talking to selectboard about managing financial matters

This item was decided to go first.

Jack: the balance of money that the HMCA money that was left over after money was raised to purchase hogback has been kept in money market account or CDs, but these are low yield. Currently losing money, slowly decreasing. Would like to put in a higher yield account. Does the HPC want to intervene with the trustees and/or selectboard to encourage them to move to change the account. In June the CD becomes due and the money can be put in another account.

Mike: We could ask to have a meeting with selectboard

Nancy: they were supposed to have an initial meeting but not sure what has proceeded from there. Should we go back to trustees? Do we ask the selectboard to get involved?

Ed: seems correct way would be for HPC to suggest the selectboard should direct the trustees

Mike: how do we feel about Mike communicating with the selectboard about this

Diana: could we talk to Pam Burke about getting the trustee info on the town meeting website, not able to reach them

Ed: there's a number of examples of nonprofits managing conservation areas, I've said from day one that the HMCA should be the organization that is running everything, we

wouldn't need the HPC. Seems silly there's two organizations. I think the HMCA would do an excellent job. Through the museum, have heard about conservation organizations that manage town land. HMCA should ask the town for money back and to take over the management.

Mike: there's a number of reasons that can't happen. For now,

Ed: is there interest in that from HMCA?

Nancy: I'm guessing there would be resistance from town offices and selectboard. And, the trustees just really need to get organized to manage this so there would be higher yields, then would need minimal contact. , many ways that it could be invested that would be good for the town,

Christine: I agree with you, we've never really followed through with making this shift because there was pushback from the town years ago. I wonder if we could decide how this could happen so that in 6 months to a year we could bring this up to the selectboard. We have budgets and records that show the money isn't spent recklessly, and for efficiency it would be easier to have one organization. We should move in the direction of a merger. Have a non profit taking care of the money so it will make more money for the conservation area. We should move forward, although not right now, but it is something we should start organizing.

Mike: in the time being, I'll get in touch the Pam Burke to get in touch with the selectboard about this. We can include Jack or Nancy for that, but then we need to get a meeting with trustees scheduled.

Diana: could we look at a link of the organization that manages the conservation area?

Ed: yes

3. Approval of regular meeting minutes

4. Reports

a. Chair's Report
Nothing to report

b. HMCA Report

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1kF2K3-0II_FqOVht3HqvNzupQWBaRs2uheb9Fi9JPs/edit

review of what is in above doc

c. SVNHM Report

Ed: open one day a week, lots of disinfecting, admissions and programs are off, but continuing on. Working on long term strategic planning, but becoming much more long range- building support over the next 3 years to get a museum that's bigger, better.

Mike: you haven't found another place to be?

Ed: no

5. Old Business

a. National Grid Roadwork

Mike: I'm buying a mini excavator so we can work on some of the roadway work

b. Culvert near Quonset hut. Town highway department assistance

Mike: quite a few conversations with Dave Elliot about this, but the town highway is interested in working on that site so emergency vehicles could get in, not sure what will be done yet.

c. First Aid Building

Mike: Still standing, no one has been in

Ed: hadn't we been talking about cutting around the lifts there?

Mike: yes, will we trim that up with HMCA, also some near the cottage.

Diana: I was there this summer, that could use more work. The trails committee hasn't had workdays, just working on things as they come up. We might have our traditional black friday trails day. Also keeping lift line open would be nice. But if too much, then it might attract snowmobilers.

Mike: just the maze proper would be a small task and that help.

d. Trails Policies & Management Plan update/revision

Mike: no updates, do over winter maybe

e. Oil Spill from Metcalf Residence

Mike: was that all taken care of?

Ed: cost 20k, paid by government grant. They don't get every last drop, but got 99%. Parts of it seemed to go underground and come back up. But, it was all taken care of.

Diana: we've noticed that the area of the cleanup now has a drainage problem. Seems that the drainage has changed. Maybe needs some water bars near the Rim Run. Is that something the trails committee should tackle? If we don't do something, it will get worse.

Ed: on my land?

Mike: on the edge

Diana: might be on the gift shop land even

6. New Business

a. 2021 Budget

Diana: we haven't done much that we would normally do. We're just moving our 2020 budget into 2021. HPC doesn't strictly approve HMCA budget but note if it is appropriate under the management plan. HMCA bundles with HPC budge

Mike: in our 2020 budget

Diana: should look at castle, deteriorating fast, have done some small repairs but keeps getting worse

Mike: maybe take down roof by chimney and replace

...discussion about this...

Diana: just moving the 2020 budget over to 2021 should be good, and get prices

Mike: motion to submit the hpc budget with the same 10012 and hmca budget from 2020 to 2021, approved

b. Jessalyn Mullet, Marlboro Elementary Jr. High proposal (permit application?)

Diana: is the permit system working? This is only the second we've had. we had request for vernal pool monitoring, involve installing a small semi-permanent thing, hmca decided they didn't a permit. when we got the one from the school, we wondered if we needed a permit, but the hmca board thought it should go through the permitting process.

a matter of whether or not if it triggers the questions that would prompt it to need a permit

Christine: there's a space where it says there would be trench?

Diana: not a permanent trench, just a temporary bathroom usage trench.

Mike: one hole for the day?

Diana: would not arrive in the morning and dig a trench, but just dig it if someone needs it, then cover over.

Mike: looks like a great application, is it me that signs it to give to selectboard?

Diana: selectboard is who approves it. Forrest has been forwarding directly to selectboard, they've already received this. So what is the role of the HPC, when would they comment, etc?

Mike: should I include that in my appearance to the selectboard?

Diana: yes

Mike: do you know how many Forrest has got?

Diana: this and the bird banding, both were sent on to the selectboard before HPC

Mike: just need to clarify roles etc,

Christine: concerned that materials should be protected or labelled in some way that they won't be disturbed

Mike: so far hasn't been a problem for similar things

discussion of different functions happening in the area

Mike: I'll do my thing with the selectboard. Could Nancy or Diana make up a budget sheet?

Diana: I could help with that

Christine: move to adjourn,
seconded and approved

7. Adjournment