Get a building permit?

All new structures need a zoning permit. No permit fee is required for small accessory structures (woodsheds) to be built which are under 200 square feet, under 16 feet tall, and the structure cannot be used for human occupancy. These sheds must also meet the setback requirements of 50 feet from property lines.  A completed zoning permit is still necessary before construction.  Interior renovation does not require a permit.

You may download a Zoning Permit (which includes detailed directions) and refer to the Zoning Regulations – Town of Marlboro, Vermont – March 6, 2018 for details.  Call the Town Office (802-254-2181) or the Zoning Administrator (802-257-4227) with questions, and kindly ask, don’t assume.  Please understand that the process requires a little effort on your part, but is hugely helpful to both you and the town in the long term.

Get a burn permit?

On the day you plan to burn, and before kindling a fire, voice communication is required (no phone messages) with the Fire Warden Allan McLane (802) 579-7987 or Deputy Fire Warden Pieter van Loon (802) 380-2923. Springtime is the driest time of the year and the fire danger is the greatest; the only time a permit will be issued is if there is significant rain forecast for the day.

Looking for information about South Pond?

The Vermont Fishing Access at South Pond is the only PUBLIC place to use South Pond.  Swimming is not allowed for people or dogs at that location. In an effort to prevent the spread of unwanted invasive plant species boaters should clean their boats prior to putting them in South Pond.

Marlboro residents who are on the voter checklist are eligible to buy a membership to use the Marlboro Park Association Beach. Memberships are limited.  The Marlboro Park Association leases the property from the Ames Hill Marlboro Community Center. For additional information about using the Marlboro Park Association Beach please read MPA South Pond 2021 Information

Contact via email for purchasing memberships to the Marlboro Park Association Beach.

The Ames Hill Marlboro Community Center owns and has conserved a large portion of property that includes the three beaches around South Pond.  The Ames Hill Marlboro Community Center also has a beach that is private.  For information about South Pond in general for using any of the beaches you may contact Bill Young or by email Hunting is allowed but by permission of the president of the Ames Hill Marlboro Community Center, currently Bill Young.

Click here to learn more about the history of South Pond

Report a problem on a town road?

Call the Town Garage at (802) 257-0252 to report downed trees, plugged culverts, washouts, or other hazardous conditions.  The four Road Crew members cover 65 miles of road and work hard to keep the roads in good condition through all types of weather.  In mud season, they usually know where the worst mud holes are, and appreciate tips on current conditions, but not angry commentary.

Report a lost or loose dog?

Please report the stray animal to the Animal Control Officer Peggy Tiffany by phone at (802) 348-7479 or by text to (802) 579-7109 or by email to  You can also call the Marlboro Town Office at (802) 254-2181.  If the dog is wearing a Marlboro tag, it will be easy for us to notify the owner.  If the dog has no tags or collar, please report it to the Animal Control Officer or the Marlboro Town Office and, if possible, arrange to bring it to the Windham County Humane Society, (802) 254-2232.  As always, if a dog is acting strangely or aggressively, don’t approach it.

Pay my tax bill or town fees online?

Town property tax bills are due ONCE per year, on the first Friday in October.  The specific due date is set at Town Meeting annually.  Postmarks are accepted.  After 5pm on the due date, immediate delinquency of 8% will be added to your bill.  If you disagree with your tax bill, remember that you may grieve your property valuation to the Board of Listers in early June — the tax bill is not up for discussion.  Keeping the town updated with a current mailing address is important for you in avoiding delinquency.  Tax bills are now payable by credit card at the town offices or online.  The town accepts online payments for: current taxes, zoning permits, dog licenses, recording fees, and certified copies.  A 3% convenience charge is added to your bill when paying by credit card and a flat fee of $1.50 is added when paying by electronic check. Click here to go directly to the online bill payment portal.

Learn about how Town Government works?

The Town Meeting election on the first Tuesday in March of every year allows voters the chance to decide the budget and spending for the upcoming year.  This directly affects the tax bill that property owners will receive in late July.  A wonderful explanation of small town Vermont government and the Town Meeting process can be enjoyed here It’s Your Turn as well as here Freedom and Unity

Dispose of household trash?

The WSWMD Transfer Station at 327 Old Ferry Road in Brattleboro accepts household trash with the purchase of a $50/year sticker.  Detailed information from Windham Solid Waste Management District about recycling, trash, and composting as well as local trash haulers is here  Windham Solid Waste Management Summary  Other trash haulers can be found in a local phone book under “Garbage Removal”.

Know what to recycle at the Marlboro Recycling Center?
Review this list to see what can and can not be recycled at the Marlboro Recycling Center: 

Marlboro Recycling details

To learn about recycling better see

Please Note: Plastic Bags Cannot Be Recycled in Our Bins!!